When it comes to orthopedic injuries, getting an expert’s evaluation is always better for your overall health in the long run. Receiving proper treatment for an orthopedic condition helps jumpstart your healing and reduce the risk of complications. It also provides you with peace of mind knowing a doctor has set you on the right track.
In this blog, we will discuss some of the most common emergencies treated in orthopedic clinics, and where you can go in San Antonio for the best treatment for your injury.
Examples of Non-Life-Threatening Orthopedic Emergencies
Orthopedic emergencies that are life-threatening, such as those that cause severe pain and bleeding or expose a bone, need to be taken to the emergency room. Non-life-threatening orthopedic emergencies can be taken care of at an orthopedic clinic.
For example, not all fractures require emergency treatment. Stable fractures, where the broken bones haven’t moved out of place, can often be treated in a clinic with casting, splinting, or bracing.
Some of the orthopedic issues an orthopedic doctor can evaluate in their clinic include:
- Elbow Fractures: A break or breaks in one or more of the bones that make up the elbow joint, where the bone doesn’t pierce through the skin.
- Knee Ligament Injury: Damage to one or more of the ligaments that help stabilize the knee joint.
- Meniscal Tear: A tear in the meniscus, which is a piece of cartilage that provides a cushion between the thigh bone and shinbone.
- Shoulder Separation: Injury to the ligament in the shoulder that holds together the acromioclavicular (AC) joint.
- Sprains and Strains: Two of the most common injuries that occur from a stretching or tearing of ligaments (sprains) or muscles/tendons (strains).
- Unstable Kneecap: This condition occurs when the kneecap moves out of its normal position, which can cause pain and instability.
Why You Should Make an Appointment with an Orthopedic Doctor
By seeing an orthopedic doctor, you are more likely to receive comprehensive care. Orthopedic clinics often have access to diagnostic tools, such as:
- Nerve conduction studies
Treatment and rehabilitation can also be performed by orthopedic doctors under one roof. Orthopedic doctors review their patients’ medical history and create personalized treatment plans for better healing and recovery. Even if you go to an emergency room or urgent care clinic, you may still be referred to an orthopedic doctor afterward for follow-up.
If you have an orthopedic emergency, call your orthopedic care provider to find out the next steps to take. Better yet, choose an orthopedic care provider that offers 24-hour access to a doctor for emergencies.
Top Orthopedic Clinic in San Antonio, TX
If you have a painful orthopedic condition, our orthopedic doctors can help you feel better again. The Center for Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine is a highly advanced orthopedic facility, equipped with a range of diagnostic tools for your convenience. We are qualified to treat work-related injuries, sports-related injuries, and much more.
Moreover, by making us your choice of provider, we ensure you have access to a doctor-on-call 24/7 for orthopedic emergencies. Your call will be returned promptly, as your health and safety are important to us.
We ask our patients who have a severe orthopedic emergency to please let the emergency room staff know that they are a patient of the Center for Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, so they can contact us.
To schedule an appointment with one of our orthopedic doctors, call our office today at (210) 692-7400 or use our online form to send a request. We look forward to providing you with a superior patient-care experience.