When you develop a musculoskeletal problem or sustain an injury affecting your bones, joints, ligaments, or cartilage, your primary care physician can only do so much to help. Instead, they will refer you to a doctor who specializes in orthopedic medicine.
However, not all orthopedic issues are alike, and neither are orthopedic doctors. So, how do you know which specialist to consult to receive an accurate diagnosis and the best care?
Let’s review the qualities that separate the cream of the crop from the rest.
The 6 Marks of a Top-Notch Orthopedic Doctor
One of the top indications that a particular orthopedic doctor can provide you with exceptional service is if they have impeccable credentials, including whether they are board-certified and fellowship-trained. However, there are other personal and professional qualities to look for, including:
- Good bedside manner. While expertise is most important, so too is a personable and caring attitude toward patients. You certainly don’t want to deal with a provider who is standoffish, perfunctory, or insensitive. An orthopedist who is both professional and compassionate, capable of putting you at ease, and willing to work with you to effectively treat your illness or injury is a keeper.
- Expertise and demonstrative skills. Although all orthopedic doctors undergo years of medical training, the best also have outstanding dexterity and coordination when it comes to orthopedic surgery. Key indicators in that regard include the doctor’s years of experience, their list of certifications and awards, and positive reviews from patient testimonials.
- A take-charge attitude. Truly exceptional orthopedic doctors have leadership qualities as indicated by their senior positions on medical teams, as well as participation in special research projects. They exude both confidence and commitment which, in turn, builds trust and confidence among their patients.
- A flexible approach to treatment. In tailoring a personalized treatment plan for your specific needs, a knowledgeable orthopedic doctor will not merely adhere to a standard approach to medicine. Instead, they will consider numerous options in order to find the most effective therapeutic solution for your problem.
- A willingness to keep up with new techniques and technology. However extensive their training may be, an outstanding orthopedic doctor will continue to stay up to date on the latest advances in the field, so they can apply their newfound knowledge to the betterment of their patients.
- A realistic outlook. The best orthopedic doctors will not mislead their patients or paint a rosy picture about their chances of a full recovery from illness or injury. Although they will pursue every available means of treatment, they will be consistently honest and realistic about your possible outcome and level with you about whether you are a suitable candidate for a complex surgical procedure.
Orthopedic Doctor Near You in San Antonio, Texas
At the Center for Orthopaedic Surgery and Sports Medicine, we are consistently striving to meet the standards of professional excellence mentioned above. We realize that if you or a loved one is dealing with pain as the result of an injury or degenerative condition, you need a reputable and highly qualified orthopedic doctor who can educate you about your options and help you regain your quality of life. We utilize a comprehensive range of innovative therapies and traditional treatments to address a wide variety of conditions.